May 2, 2020 General Election
Early Voting Held at City Hall, 200 N. Fifth Street, Crockett, Texas
The first day to file an Application for Place on Ballot, for Council Positions 3, 4 and 5, in the May 2,
2020 General Election will be January 15, 2020; the last day to file an Application for Place on Ballot will be February 14, 2020.
The requirements/qualifications to serve on the Crockett City Council are found in the Home Rule
SECTION 3.02 – QUALIFICATIONS
Each member of the city council, in addition to having the other qualifications prescribed by law, shall meet the following requirements:
- Shall be a qualified voter of the city;
- Shall have resided in the city for at least one (1) year next preceding his election;
- Shall not hold any other public office of emolument, if such is prohibited by Article 16, Section 40 of the Constitution of the State of Texas;
- Shall not be interested in the emolument of any contract with the city.
- If a member of the city council shall cease to possess any of these qualifications or shall be convicted of a felony, he shall immediately forfeit his office.
The City of Crockett operates with a Council-Manager form of Home Rule government. The legislative and policy-making body consists of a five member City Council, one for each of the five Precincts. The Mayor serves a two year term and is limited to three consecutive terms. Council Members serve two year terms and there are no term limits.
According to the Home Rule Charter, The Mayor and Council Members for Precinct 1 and 2 are to be elected in odd years (i.e. 2019, 2021, etc.). Council Members for Precinct 3, 4, and 5 are to be elected in even years(i.e. 2020, 2022, etc.).
Any qualified person may have his name placed on the ballot as a candidate for mayor or for commissioner one, two, three, four, or five, by filing with the City Secretary not more than ninety (90) nor fewer than thirty (30) days prior to the date of election.
For more detailed information regarding City Elections, you may go to Section IV of the Home Rule Charter or contact the City Secretary.